Mai Pen Rai Means Never Mind - a personal look at the Thai Culture


In 1995, while living in the U.S., they offered me a really good job in Thailand. My vision of Thailand was exotic and wild, knew with jungle, beach and temple, but at the same time, not me, something about the culture and the people.

In preparation for the move, the company gave me the book "Mai Pen Rai means Never Mind by Carol Hollinger. The subtitle of the book "An American housewife honest love affair with the irrepressible human> Thailand. "I started, but not in the correct path, and then decided it would be better if I formed my own opinion and left the book alone.

I've just finished reading it, 10 years after his departure from Thailand, and I absolutely enjoyed every minute.

Carol Hollinger came to Thailand with her husband in his work, but decided to go and do their own thing. She secured a job as a lecturer at the best university in Thailand and deepenedcould be as much in contact with the Thai people like them.

She was fortunate to be able to meet some influential Thai people, as well as some of the most important foreigner to be from their experience deeper and more meaningful than most people, but at every turn, took her opportunities, no matter how strange They are very close and personal with the land, animals, people, history, food, buildings and whatever else they could find them. She was not deterred by the weather, fatigue, illnessor language barriers. She waded or dove into murky water, ate and drank what she said with her hands and face, listened with his eyes and heart and felt loved by the Thai not universally observed.

The language in the book shows the author's knowledge of fancy words and the books she was reading, which may be brought to the reader a little bit down, but the love of friendly Thai people and their culture is still clearly communicated .

It takes courage to be guided by conventionsand just enjoy. Carol Hollinger enjoyed not only in Thailand, which released it Americanism, but seemed at any moment of writing this excellent book to enjoy. I found myself smiling to myself many times when I read were all nervous about some of the Thai Foreign antics, while "Acharn" Hollinger watched and giggled on the inside. Many of these episodes resembled my own experience in Thailand and elsewhere.

"Mai pen rai" is a veryrecommended if you plan to go, to Thailand. If you are not, makes it even more interesting to read and you may need to travel to Thailand and meet these wonderful people from the land of smiles to spark.

0 Responses

Adventure Destination Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory