Expat Life Thailand - Visa run to Vientiane, Laos

A few days ago I made my first visa run to Laos, with the bus.

I usually go to Singapore to get a 60-day tourist visa, but the last time I went, they refused to give me a 60-day visa, because I have an open e-ticket back to Canada. They now want a confirmed ticket and will not accept an open ticket. That is stupid if you ask me. I told the lady at the reception that if the violence in Bangkok is bad, I may call Air Canada and on my way the next day, so an open ticket is much betteras a ticket for a specific date. No Dice. So I had to fly back to Bangkok and got the usual 30-day entry to the airport. The entire trip cost me 18 000 baht include hotels, flights, meals, taxis, etc. What a waste.

I have a few visa runs by bus to Cambodia, and find that a pain in the butt, because you only 14 days and then to have to do it again, and it costs 2000 baht per time.

So this time I signed the bus to Vientiane.

I must say that the service from theVisa run and was awarded, by bus (40 seats) was filled, and it was the same comfortable bus, she runs to Cambodia, with the same driver. The driver is relatively conservative, seems to be mindful of the fact he's lost 40 farangs on board, and is as careful a driver as you want.

The bus left PB Tower on Sukhumvit soi 71 clock exactly at 8:30.

There was a break for about an hour later to pee at a service center, and then two hours later, and so on, while theNight. This gave the driver the chance to be a bit of what I thought was a good idea to relax.

Unfortunately, I have never sleep in a position to take a bus or plane, and this trip was no different. During my seat mate happily snoring the night, I sat bleary eyes, shifting in my seat at regular intervals, as my butt was sore. I appreciated the breaks and.

A DVD movie at the beginning of the trip was played, but after it was finished it was after 11 clock so that no more films were shown.

WeArrival at the border early, before 6:30 clock. I saw the sun come up. We had to sit for a while, until the border opens office, and then a bus all the ladies got our passports processed. Previously, she had collected on the bus.

is punched after Thailand, we have three mini-buses (vans) across the bridge (Mekong River) in Laos, where we waited again, while the immigration lady got our passports processed by Lao. In less than an hour we have theMini-buses in Vientiane and came to the streets for the Thai embassy about 7:30 or 7:40. There were at least 200 people already lined along the sidewalk, and it was hot.

The embassy gates opened around 08.15 clock, and we all filed in the message connection. It was a ticket machine at the front, and we sat down the queue.

However, ushered us to our former Visa lady running up the stairs in an air conditioned area and gave low-numbered cards from a vending machine. Our figuresbegan about 95, while people got tickets in the ticket machines counted more than 350th So I guess they had some contacts in Vientiane, which stood at the beginning of the line at the gates to the early hour, and then the tickets to her as she arrived an hour or more later.

The ticket numbers were called over the public address system, both in Thai and English, and repeated again, "Ticket number 37, please continue on the counter number two."

I soon realized that itno pause in the number legend, came the announcement non-stop, and soon reached the 80s. We all rushed down the stairs to the counter and were there when our numbers came. But the numbers on just rolling by on hold. Our lady collected our passports and tickets and lined them all up on the counter and then wait while telling us to go in the other building.

There we found, there were four other counters, numbered 3-6, but only one, counter 4 was active, and there were at leastwait for 100 people sitting on chairs. The waiting room was air conditioned.

Again, the numbers were out, but called this time it was big gaps in between, and there was a significant pause after each number was called. If a number was called, was a person up to 4 meters, you receive a written confirmation of order, and then exit stage left.

After each batch of 10 or 12 numbers, there was a five or six minutes late. That was when I noticed that the Thai lady was behind the counter pressureand then divides the revenue. Of course, the passports and applications processed in the other building, entered into a computer, and then the entrance was printed in this building on the counter fourth

After about 30 or 40 minutes, my number was called, I went to the counter, I got the receipt and leave. The guy next to me had a lower number, but his number was not called, he got a little angry and went to the counter where the lady told him to wait.

I walked out of theOutput, it was my visa runs Dame collection of revenue, and then and we will ring on one of the vans. My reception had shown "60 days double entry tourist visa" and "Fee: $ 0", so I was happy.

The van took us to a local restaurant where we had a Thai / Lao food breakfast or brunch of fried rice and whatever. This was free, paid for by the visa-run companies, but soft drinks were 20 Baht extra.

In Laos, you can use to Lao kip, Thai baht and U.S. dollars synonymous. If you pay in ThaiBaht, you get change in Thai Baht. If you pay in U.S. dollars, you will move to Lao Kip, which, as Cambodia's currency is very high denominations and a value. A Pepsi was 20 baht, which was reasonable, but not diet drinks were available. By the way, ATMs dispense only in Laos Lao Kip.

After brunch, we were of the van hotel, which was later taken as perfectly acceptable, maybe 2.5 stars. There was no pool, only one room, but it was a large room, bathroom, cable orSatellite TV with many Thai, Lao, and some a couple of movie channels including HBO and Star Movies.

The bathroom was typical Thai style, no shower or bathtub, shower and head to the wall. It was a flash water heater that worked, and the toilet was. The towels were big, red, soft, and of course new.

I had to pay extra 200 baht at the reception for a private room. The visa runs of 5,000 baht fee includes a shared room (two per room). The fee will increase to 6,000 Bahtends after the free tourist visa support fifth June.

In bed from 01.00 clock in the afternoon I slept for several hours, got up, showered, watched a movie, then went in search of dinner. I walked up and down the main street nearby, but it was not appealing. But had the office complex situated 20 meters from the hotel restaurant, so I went and found in 5 more farangs from visa requirements to run there. The food was good, the prices were not expensive, and I could pay with ThaiBaht. The young lady behind the counter was probably the most beautiful girl I have ever laid eyes on, and I have years since Thailand now and then for 20 It made me wish I were 25 again.

The next day I had breakfast in the same restaurant, and then, at 1PM, we piled into the van again and were taken to the border. There are a lot of "Duty Free" shops at the border. We waited about 45 minutes or so, and then the visa runs lady showed up, and we all went through with the ImmigrationLao border people looking at us, not about our passports, which the visa runs lady was seen.

Back over the bridge to Thailand, where we waited another 45 minutes or so, then it was back in the bus for the return trip. Within an hour we stopped at a restaurant where we have a Thai meal, again free, non-alcoholic beverages extra 20 baht.

The return trip was much faster, as several DVD movies were played, which occupies the time and spirit.

We came back inBangkok at 01.30. You can get everywhere erased along the route, some leave at Ramkhamhaeng. I waited until the end, which was right next Ekamai BTS station, where I soon found out that the BTS is closed. A 80 baht taxi later I was back home.

I would do it again? Definitely yes. The whole process was pretty much automatic. The company took care of everything. You have to book a flight in advance if. A Farang apparently called to find out the price and the timeappeared and was angry that there is no place for him. But he had not made a reservation, did not have his name or phone number, then, no luck. Of course, he had left it until the last day of his visa, he would have to leave the next day and somehow pay the 500 baht cover charge.

To summarize: leave at 8:30 PM, spend a night on the bus. It will then wait for about half a day, included with brunch. Check in to hotel, sleep a little, or if you have the stamina to explore Vientiane.Not much there, but. Do you eat, sleep one night in Hotel. The next day, to wait for a morning or visit Vientiane, then by bus to Bangkok, arriving around 1:30 Clock.

If you wish to do so themselves, the company I used "Quick Thai Visa Run", 6 OG, PB Tower, Sukhumvit Soi 71st The contact is Phillip, who speaks perfect English 02-713-2498 (office hours) or 09-0245-255 (24 hours). ThaiVisaRun.com you have a website, but it was not updated for a while, and onlyCambodia calls their run to run, not Laos.

3 Responses
  1. Unknown Says:

    Hey, do you know all the details of the payment?


  2. Unknown Says:

    Hey, do you know all the details of the payment?


  3. priya dhole Says:


    Nice and interesting information and informative too.
    Can you please let me know the good attraction places we can visit: german visa application online


Adventure Destination Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory